2 hours, 43 minutes
This presentation includes lecture and video.
Many owners become frustrated and overwhelmed living with a dog with separation anxiety, and some even give up. While most trainers are aware of standard protocols and approaches, some dogs just haven’t read the game plans, and outside-the-box solutions are needed. Living with Sierra, a shelter dog who came with a deeply entrenched case of separation anxiety, has given Nicole an insider’s perspective on separation issues and has emphasized the fact that a cookie-cutter approach does not work for every dog. Nicole’s twenty years of experience as a canine behavior specialist, along with her newfound empathy for owners, allowed her to develop outside-the-box, creative ways to address separation problems and to support owners.
- How to accurately diagnose a separation issue, and how to differentiate separation anxiety from isolation distress
- Root causes, and how owners can have an influence for better or worse
- Creative management options, including what to do in an emergency
- The Alone Zone: Where in (or outside) the house to leave your dog when you’re away; what is not recommended and why
- The latest, easy-to-use technological advances that allow you to monitor your dog remotely
- Assessing if and when pharmacological intervention is appropriate, and two natural alternatives to consider
- Complementary products and therapies that may help
- Separation anxiety myths (You might be surprised at some of the “accepted wisdom” that is simply untrue!)
- Common questions, such as “Could getting a second dog help?”
- A structure to help you formulate a customized behavior modification plan
This seminar is appropriate for trainers, shelter/rescue workers, owners, and other dog
enthusiasts and professionals.
ATTENDEE REVIEWS for full-day seminar that included Separation Anxiety filmed for this DVD as well as Dog-Dog Play, available as separate DVD.
"I benefited from the seminar, picking up several good insights from each topic. As always, you were an engaging, polished speaker with well organized material, good anticdotes and stories, stayed on track and kept us on time. - Kathy St. Cyr, New Orleans
"This was my third Nicole Wilde seminar. I always enjoy her take on behavior and training. Each time, I come away with something new and fresh to share with clients."
—JWE, GA "Two Timely Topics: Separation Anxiety & Dog-Dog Play" seminar