Working with Fearful Dogs
A Full-Day Seminar Presentation
3-disc set. Running Time: 5 hours, 50 minutes.
Note: Although this seminar was presented to an audience of primarily trainers, it is also invaluable for owners, rescue and shelter workers, vet techs, and anyone who works with fearful dogs.
Many trainers find anxiety, fears and phobias to be among the most challenging behaviors to treat. This information-packed workshop incorporates lecture, photographs and extensive video footage to explore the art of working with fearful dogs. Topics include:
- causes and prevention;
- how fear manifests;
- recognized and lesser-known stress signals;
- how to work with fearful dogs in clients’ homes;
- a Firm Foundation program on which to build confidence;
- skills to teach owners;
- skills to teach dogs;
- a brief review of desensitization and counterconditioning;
- and what training equipment is (and is not!) appropriate.
Video footage includes fearful dogs in group classes and in homes, and techniques that can be used to treat fears such as those of one specific family member, and of being handled. Interactive exercises include participation in solving a fear-related case history. You will also get an overview of how complementary therapies can make treatment plans even more successful.
*ALSO SEE THE BOOK “HELP FOR YOUR FEARFUL DOG”